Here’s a timeline of our company’s history.
1946: Kermit Murphy Sr. and Dr. Richard Stelling begin developing and selling food flavoring in the Ponoma area of Greensboro, N.C. Murphy sold their flavoring to local bakeries.
1947: Murphy convinces 14 investors to help him set up Southern Laboratories. Stelling decides to focus on his medical practice, so Murphy recruits a veteran chemist to continue to build the company’s flavor library.
1949: Southern Laboratories moves to a larger building and secures $56,000 worth of business. Around this time, the company begins supplying its fruit-flavored bases to the military for use in beverages.
1954: Southern Laboratories introduces its first vanilla flavoring, a category that will become the company’s main focus for many years.
1955: Southern Laboratories changes its name to Mother Murphy’s Laboratories, Inc.
1958: Kermit’s brother, L.M. “Pete” Murphy joins the company.
The 1960s: Mother Murphy’s expands its offerings to include sweet flavorings and begins producing products for the food and beverage industries.
1965: The Murphy brothers design and build a new facility on South Elm Street to house Mother Murphy’s. It has served as the company’s main production facility and corporate headquarters ever since.
The 1970s: The company begins offering flavorings for the dairy industry.
The early 1990s: Mother Murphy’s extends its offerings to most sectors of the flavorings market.
1994: Mother Murphy’s opens a commercial baking test facility in Dallas.
2011: Mother Murphy’s opens a 93,000-square-foot distribution center less than a mile from its corporate headquarters.